Nowadays, you can get a mat that is an exact match for your particular taste and likes. Unlike more than a decade ago, yoga mats are available in varying sizes, styles, and designs.
Many years ago, the only yoga-matted avai vinyl, either purple. You had almost no options when buying when a yoga mat.
Yoga is a great way to move your body and improve your flexibility. But what are the best yoga mats for beginners?
In this article, we’ll tell you all about the different types of yoga mats, their features, and what to look for when purchasing one.
What are Yoga Mats?
Yoga mats are pieces of matting that are typically used for stretching and Pilates exercises. They come in various sizes and shapes and can be used on the floor, at home, or in a studio.
When using a yoga mat, following the manufacturer’s instructions is essential. Some standard instructions include ensuring the carpet is properly dried before use, avoiding extreme temperatures or humidity, and storing the mat away from direct sunlight or heat.
Yoga mats are designed to protect your flooring from damage, and they also help to reduce noise when you are performing your exercises. They are lightweight and easy to transport, making them perfect for home or studio use.
Types of Yoga Mats
There are a few different types of yoga mats, each with its unique benefits.
The first type of yoga mat is the regular mat. These mats are made from a rubber or plastic material and are used for traditional asanas (poses). They are usually large enough to accommodate most people and provide a good grip.
The second type of yoga mat is the microfiber yoga mat. These mats are made from a synthetic material much softer than regular mats.
They are often used for prenatal yogas and those who have latex allergies. They provide good cushioning and less friction than regular mats, making them ideal for students who experience pain in their feet or hands.
The third type of yoga mat is the hot yoga mat. These mats are made from a thermal fabric that heats up when you use them.
This helps to improve your flexibility and blood flow, leading to increased energy and endurance during your practice.
Whatever type of yoga mat you choose, be sure to research which one is best for you before buying it.
Benefits of Yoga
Yoga is a powerful form of exercise that can help you to improve your flexibility, strength, and balance.
It also has many mental health benefits, including reducing stress and anxiety. Here are some of the most common uses of yoga:
1. Improved flexibility. Yoga has been shown to improve your flexibility in both your upper and lower body. This makes it an excellent exercise for people of all ages and abilities.
2. Increased strength and balance. Your body will develop stronger muscles and equilibrium as you learn new poses and sequences. This makes yoga an ideal workout for people who want to improve their fitness levels.
3. Better mental health. Yoga benefits your mental health, especially if you suffer from stress or anxiety disorders. It can help reduce these conditions’ symptoms by improving your circulation and flexibility.
4. Improved sleep quality. A study published in the journal Sleep showed that those who practiced yoga reported improved sleep quality. This is because yoga lets you focus on your breath and simultaneously relax your mind and body.
5. Increased energy and endurance. Yoga can help you increase your energy and endurance, making it an ideal workout for those who want to improve their fitness level.
6. Safer than other forms of exercise. Many people are hesitant to try yoga because they think it is too dangerous. However, yoga is a much safer form of exercise than many other activities. It is low impact and does not require any special equipment or skills.
If you’re interested in trying yoga, research which type of yoga mat is best for you and find a teacher who can guide you through the poses and sequences.
Read Next – What Hatha Yoga
Benefits of Yoga Mats
Yoga mats are a great way to improve your flexibility and strength. They also help to reduce stress and improve circulation.
There are many benefits to yoga mats, but here are just a few:
-You can improve your flexibility by practicing on a mat that is flexible enough for you.
-You can increase your strength by doing poses on a firm but flexible mat.
-Yoga mats help reduce stress by providing a calm and peaceful environment.
-Yoga mats can also help to improve your circulation by helping to increase the amount of blood flow to your feet and hands.
How to Clean a Yoga Mat
Like most people, you probably think of a yoga mat as something you can leave lying around without worrying about. But that’s not the case at all!
Yoga mats are very fragile and can quickly become filthy. They’re even more delicate than regular mats because they’re used in close contact with the floor. So you need to take care when cleaning them.
Here are steps on how to clean a yoga mat:
1. Remove any excess water or sweat from the mat using a towel.
2. Soak the mat in a tub of warm water for a few minutes, then wring it out thoroughly.
3. Use mild soap to scrub the mat clean. Be sure to use circular motions and avoid scrubbing into the fabric.
4. Rinse the mat under cold water to cool it down and stop the soapy smell.
5. Pat the mat dry with a towel, then put it away in its storage container.
Here are some tips on how to clean a yoga mat:
1. Wet your mat entirely before cleaning it. This will help to remove any dirt, dust, or particles that have settled on it over time.
2. Scrub the mat with a cloth dipped in a gentle cleaning solution. Make sure to scrub all of the surface areas of the carpet.
3. Rinse the mat thoroughly with water and pat it dry. You can also use a towel to blot off any excess moisture.
4. Put the mat away in its protective cover and store it in a dry place.
These are just a few tips on how to clean a yoga mat. Follow these simple steps, and you’ll be able to keep your rug clean and free from bacteria.
Read Next – 10 Effective Yoga Poses to Defeat Diabetes
How to Store a Yoga Mat
When you’re not using your yoga mat, it’s essential to keep it clean and organized.
Here are some tips for storing your yoga mat:
- Keep your yoga mat in a clean, dry place.
- Stack your yoga mat on top of other mats when you’re not using it. This will help to prevent it from getting damaged.
- If you’re storing your yoga mat for a long time, pack it in a durable container.
Tips for Beginning Yoga
If you’ve been considering starting yoga, but are hesitant because you don’t know where to start, don’t worry!
There are plenty of beginner-friendly yoga mats available on the market today.
- Choose a mat that is comfortable and fits well in your hands. You should hold it comfortably for at least five minutes without feeling pain or pressure in your hands. Here are some tips on how to choose the right one for your needs:
- Try out different types of mats before settling on one. Many different kinds of rugs are available, so find one that feels the best for you. Some people prefer porous mats, while others prefer non-porous mats.
- Consider the thickness of the mat. The thicker the carpet, the harder it will be to roll up and store. However, some people find thicker mats more stable when practicing yoga poses. It’s up to you to decide what is right for you.
- Make sure the mat is easy to clean. Many yoga mats come with removable coverings that can be washed in the washing machine or dried using the air conditioning or fan setting on your dryer.
In recent years, however, you can be very specific about the details of your yoga mat. You can decide on thickness, storability, stickiness, texture, material, eco-friendliness, and just about every mat feature.
Below is an outline of different features of a modern yoga mat to help you choose one.
We’ve started with addressing the cost of a mat because it is a critical factor in determining what kind of mat you purchase. Shopping in places way out of your budget would waste your time.
A simple PVC yoga mat of standard thickness and a dull color is the lowest cost on the market. Eco-friendly mats are high-end, on the other hand. The more you add features such as natural materials, texture, treatment, and thickness, the more you pay for the mat.
The material that a yoga mat is made of is crucial because it determines its features. Most yoga mats are made of vinyl, which is not very earth-friendly.
There are mats made of natural cotton, natural and recycled rubber, and jute. Newer carpets available in the market are biodegradable.
A PVC mat, however, is still the tried and tested one that will endure years of use.
The standard yoga mat’s thickness is 1/8 of an inch. Others are much thicker at ¼ inch and still wafer-thin at 1/16 inch thickness.
The narrow ones are easily foldable, and you can carry them in a suitcase. They are ideal for travel.
If storage space is an issue, but you do not require portability, choose the standard thickness mat. If comfort is your priority, and you have space and do not travel much, select the thickest mat.
Available textures for yoga mats range from very smooth to downright rough. For a very soft carpet, you can go with PVC.
Jute, cotton, and rubber yoga mat with a raised physical pattern have stick-ability if that’s your goal, especially if you don’t prefer PVC.
Getting an earth-friendly mat can be a priority for a yogi who upholds the values of non-violence. These are now available in natural materials such as jute, rubber, or cotton. You can get a rug that meets your requirements in all other ways and is made of raw materials.
A sticky mat will keep you from sliding all over and helps you maintain your alignment as you practice.
The natural materials get their stickiness from lack of smoothness. If a rough texture does not appeal to you, your only option of getting a sticky mat is to go for a vinyl one. However, a PVC mat will only be sticky if clean.
Style may be the least important consideration when buying a mat. Check out all the above factors, and then pick a carpet with your desired pattern, print, and color.
Read Next – Pilates For Knee Pain
If you’re considering starting a yoga routine, it’s essential to know about the different types of mats available and what they can do for you. This article discusses the top seven things you need to know about yoga mats before making a purchase.
From choosing the right thickness to finding your perfect mat size, we cover everything you need to make an informed decision.
So, whether you’re looking for a new fitness trend or want to improve your overall flexibility and breathing techniques, check out our selection of yoga mats!
Amazon Basics Extra Thick Exercise Yoga Gym Floor Mat with Carrying Strap - 74 x 24 x .5 Inches, Pink
Gaiam Essentials Thick Yoga Mat Fitness & Exercise Mat with Easy-Cinch Carrier Strap, Red, 72"L X 24"W X 2/5 Inch Thick
9 used from $18.88
Gaiam Essentials Premium Yoga Mat with Yoga Mat Carrier Sling, Teal, 72 InchL x 24 InchW x 1/4 Inch Thick (05-64061)
2 used from $19.07
BalanceFrom Go Yoga All Purpose High Density Non-Slip Exercise Yoga Mat with Carrying Strap, 1/4", Black
Gaiam Yoga Mat Classic Print Non Slip Exercise & Fitness Mat for All Types of Yoga, Pilates & Floor Workouts, Pink Marrakesh, 4mm, 68"L x 24"W x 4mm Thick
$16.98 in stock
10 used from $13.98